FERS-5200 is a Front-End Readout System designed for large detector arrays, such as SiPMs, multi-anode PMTs, Silicon Strip detectors, Wire Chambers, GEM, Gas Tubes and others. FERS is a highly-scalable distributed platform. Each unit is a small card which houses 32 or 64 channels and includes Front End electronics, A/D converters, trigger logic, synchronization, local memory and readout interface.
FERS was designed with flexibility in mind: a single user-interface and readout infrastructure has been designed to support and perform a wide range of front-end tasks suitable for a large variety of detector types. In most cases, the front-end is based on ASIC chips. This design is perfect for large detector arrays, combining high density, cost-effective integration of multi-channel readout electronics with a small footprint and low power draw. The Front End ASIC can implement an analog chain made of preamplifier, shaper, peak sensing and discriminator: this is the case of the model A5202, based on the Citiroc-1A chip produced by Weeroc for SiPM readout. In other cases, the ASIC is a fast flash ADC (1 GS/s or more) that records the waveform of the input pulses and makes it possible to apply digital algorithms providing timing, energy and pulse shape information.
- Platform for the readout of large arrays of detectors (SiPM, MA-PMTs, Gas Tubes, Si detectors, …)
- Based on a complete family of Front-End cards (FERS units) + Concentrator Board
- Scalability: from a single standalone FERS unit for prototyping to many thousands of channels, with simple tree network structure.
- Flexibility: FERS units can be tailored to specific detectors and applications
- A5202 Front-End unit for SiPM readout with Weeroc CITIROC chip
- Modularity: multiple FERS units can be managed via a single Concentrator board DT5215 (max. 8192 channels for A5202)
- Concentrator Board: multiple Concentrator Boards can be synchronized to build extremely large readout systems
- Compact size: high-channel density FERS units are very efficient in terms of detector connectivity and footprint
- Easy-Sync: a single optical link (TDlink) for data readout, slow control and boards synchronization
- Acquisition modes: spectroscopy (PHA), counting, time stamping, waveform recording, depending on the Front-End ASIC
- Data Management: Concentrator Board DT5215 manages event building, processing and formatting
- Form Factor: FERS unit available in boxed version for desktop use or naked for integration into mechanical frames
This product is sold with CAEN